- Its too hot and humid outside for my liking
- I’m spending an arm and a leg on fresh, organic cherries weekly
- The Red Sox are playing terribly and losing like, every day
While I can’t do anything about the Red Sox (except continue to hope and pray and all that jazz), I luckily can work on the other two.
Because the weather is sweltering, some mornings I just cannot start the day with a hot breakfast. I need a smoothie bowl of some sort. Something cold and filling. Filling without it being wicked heavy. And filled with nourishing ingredients. That’s a must.
In my bag of good stuff from the Whole Foods Market on P Street that I got as part of a promotion for their Ready for Action bags (on sale Saturday, June 27 at 10am), I received a sample packet of Organic Plant Protein in a chocolate flavor. I usually opt for vanilla flavored powders if I’m ever buying protein powder so I was kind of excited to get a chocolate flavor. Any excuse for me to eat chocolate as part of a real meal, honestly.
And this protein powder is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. There are 15 g. of protein per serving and has less than 1 g. of sugar. Most importantly- it tastes GOOD.
On a particularly hot DC morning, I made myself a smoothie bowl using the powder and some other good stuff in my kitchen. One thing being frozen cherries! Even though cherries are in season right now and I buy them from time to time (aka every week), its nice to have the option to buy frozen ones at a better price for use in things like smoothies and sauces (have you ever made cherry bbq sauce before? yum!).
Here’s my recipe:
- 1 serving of organic plant protein- chocolate flavor (or your choice of protein powder- try and get a chocolate flavor though!)
- 1 tbs. grass-fed gelatin/collagen
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup overflowing of frozen cherries
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Toppings: raw cacao nibs + shredded coconut
- You could also throw in some maca powder which I’m sure would be good!
Thanks again to the Whole Foods Market on P Street for this opportunity to try out some products from the store.
Keep it wicked healthy.