So we’re moving into 2013 you say? New year, baby. I don’t know why but 2013 just sounds weird to me. Maybe its the odd number? Maybe its the 13? I don’t know. Welp- whether I like it or not, it’s a-coming!
How do ya like my new calendar? Sorry for the light glare. Santa gave this to me in my stocking when I was home 😉 All the pictures are of various herbs and spices! I like that January’s is bright and colorful. I also really like having a calendar in my kitchen now!
That’s not the only thing different about my kitchen as of last night. As Will and I slowly take down all our Christmas decor, I’m filling the empty space with new things. Like the beautiful, hand stitched dish towel he got me for Christmas:
For a girl always missing her home state, this dish towel is perfect. I don’t know if I have the heart to actually use it to dry dishes- it’s too pretty!
Also, hopefully you have noticed the nice quality of these photos- thank GOD for the new digital camera Will got me- I am so so so obsessed with it. Look at those bright and accurate colors!
The only other new kitchen additions last night were of the food variety. Will and I did some late night grocery shopping at a NEW store (well for us anyway). He recently discovered that there was a Harris Teeter close by and let’s just say… we’re ALWAYS shopping there from now on!
It’s like a combination of a more Trader Joes/Whole Foods type store AND your basic grocery store. It has the best of both worlds- a good variety of fresh produce and healthier options plus all your regular grocery store goodies (and more!)
The produce area made me feel like I was in that Food Network commercial with Ted Allen (the host of Chopped) in the grocery store…
you know, the one where he compliments the woman on her choice of picking up a piece of dragon fruit? No? Yes? I tried to find a video but failed. I promise the commercial exists. Obscure reference- deal with it.
Will and I’s coffee collection from home was greeted with bananas and lots of yummy food. And Christmas might be over, but it’s still clementine season!
Oh, and I thought these grape tomatoes looked fun- plus they were cheaper than red ones.
Gotta love a full and happy fridge full of awesome food! On my flight back to DC yesterday I read the “Vegetarian Times” magazine I got for Christmas and I read a great piece of advice that I firmly believe in:
Don’t count on exercise to counter bad eating habits. Exercise is important for health, but its effect on weight is modest.
It’s along the lines of the expressions, “abs are made in the kitchen” and “you can’t out-exercise a bad diet.” I’m all about the focus being on the fuel you’re giving your body. I really don’t think a lot of people realize how important healthy eating habits are. I’m happy to be reunited with my fridge, my kitchen, and my habits of making my own meals.
Do you spy something out of the ordinary in my fridge? Perhaps a bottle of champagne?! Looks perfect for a night in to celebrate NEW YEARS EVE! This will be my first New Years Eve with a boy to kiss at midnight (will and I have never been physically together in the same place on New Years). Will and I are going out to dinner and then just staying in with each other, our bottle, and a movie. We’re low key like that.
Knowing that we’re going to welcome the New Year by indulging ourselves with food and alcohol, healthy choices are ever important for the rest of today. The morning was greeted by a bowl of greek yogurt mixed with granola made by grandmother, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, and peanut butter. Yum yum yum.
Okay. And now onto the ever popular topic of New Years resolutions.
I discussed my 2013 resolutions in an earlier post, but here is the basic rundown. And when I say basic, I really do mean basic. My resolutions aren’t crazy- they are pretty simple. I thought about having none at all, but this time last year I grabbed the bull by the horns and decided to lose weight and look what happened. I figured having some sort of loose outline to work toward is definitely better than not setting a bar for myself at all.
SO I ended up with these ten items:
- Truly eating what my body needs My registered dietitian appointment is mid-January and I cannot wait. My eating habits will be assessed and I’ll get to know once and for all what I should be eating everyday.
- Workout five times a week Nothing to it but to do it. Exercise is something I have found that I really love. I’m going to continue to make the time for myself to get my sweat on.
- Vary my type and style of workouts often I tend to get into habits of routine but I understand how important cross training is and vow to include variety in my weeks and workouts.
- Strengthen my ability to do pushups My legs are pretty damn strong and now it’s time for my arms to catch up a little bit.
- Maintain and increase my plank hold time I think having a strong core is awesome and this resolution will remind me to do exercises that work my whole body frequently.
- Improve my 3-mile running time While I don’t run as much as I used to, I genuinely like running and want to make sure I get at least one day of it in a week. Having some sort of goal regarding running will remind me to make the time to get out there and run.
- Update the layout of my blog Yes, you read that right. I have some plans in the works to update this bad boy 😉
- Do a better job of staying in touch with my family It’s so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. But quick phone calls and taking the time and making the effort to communicate is worth it and necessary.
- Have a more active social life I vow to have more fun in 2013- to laugh more and make a more valiant effort to make plans with people and stick to ’em. This also involves taking more pictures of me having fun and not just my food for my blog.
- Live life one day at a time but plan for the future I’ll forever be trying to let small stuff go that frustrates me and appreciate the good in all my life situations. I just want to enjoy the moment, be present in the moment, and not worry so much. BUT that being said, this is going to be a big year for me in terms of thinking about and laying the ground work for the future (in regards to education and my professional life).
I hope you all are challenging yourselves to make at least ONE resolution for 2013.
I’M challenging all of you to make at least ONE healthy resolution FOR ME whether it involves getting healthy or staying healthy. DO IT DO IT DO IT.
It doesn’t have to be crazy big- don’t be intimidated by me throwing down the gauntlet. I just want everyone to be thinking about one way in which you can take care of yourself better in the new year.
Maybe it’s drinking more water- maybe it’s eating breakfast everyday- maybe its losing weight- getting back to the gym- increasing your strength training regimen- or even embracing life and laughing more… I am sending you all the motivational waves I can muster! Never forget that you can do anything you set your mind to. So dial your minds to achieving something awesome for yourself.
We’re all human and we all just want to be happy. Make 2013 the year to strengthen your mental health, physical health, self-confidence, and fearless-ness. Conquer what scares you, count your blessings, embrace the little things, smile, love, and let yourself be loved.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, WORLD! LET’S GO, 2013.
Ring in tonight with a smile xoxo