So- this was not the post I was planning on putting up tonight BUT not sharing with you all right now what I just made would do you a great disservice.
To brighten up my Sunday night and take my mind off returning to the work week, I decided to go the sweets route. Lately, I’ve been SO NOSTALGIC for fall/winter. They are my favorite seasons hands down. They have the best weather, food, holidays, etc. etc.
D.C. has been ridiculously hot and humid per usual and I desperately have been seeking a change of season. While I can’t fast forward time unfortunately, I can channel autumn through food and flavors.
Originally see on pinterest and pinned from Shape magazine.
That’s right. Pumpkin pie. The actual “pie part” is 75 calories. You can top it or serve it with any thing you want.
- 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin and 1/4 cup of egg whites (egg white of 1 egg) mixed in a bowl sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, and no calorie sweetener.
- Cooked in microwave for two minutes.
- (It expands and gets fluffy- no joke)
- Approx. 75 calories! Score!
- I just scooped it out of the bowl and shaped it on a separate plate.
*My pie wasn’t wicked sweet, so if you’re looking for more sweetness add more sugar or maybe some vanilla extract before cooking.
- I heated 1/2 an apple chopped up and sprinkled with cinnamon and ate this alongside of the pie (50 calories).
- I topped my pie with 2 tbl. of nonfat plain greek yogurt mixed with 1 tsp. of brown sugar (35 calories).
I had ALL of these ingredients in my kitchen already because they are things I always have on hand. Super convenient. It totally took me back to fall and was just over 150 calories for a wonderful dessert. Shape magazine, if you click through above, offers other topping suggestions. I would also offer the suggestion of low fat cool whip!
Apples and pumpkins and cinnamon and nutmeg- the smells alone were enough to make me smile. But of course the taste made me ecstatic. Knowing it was a healthy, low cal version of my favorite fall flavors/foods made it that much better.
Now- back to Keeping Up With The Kardashians. xoxo.